Saturday, December 13, 2008

Downfalls

I was looking for a cure to get rid of my fear of falling off horses. Well, winter sent it to me along with that spectacular ice storm that fell on our heads a couple of days ago...

Upon opening the curtains that morning, I saw everything from cars to fir trees to mailmen transformed into giant shiny MrFreezes. Oh! It WAS beautiful indeed. But if you had to set foot outside, it redefined walking into an extreme sport.

I had to go to work even if I must admit I thought about calling in "pale". It took me 15 minutes of banging, scraping & pulling to finally open my car's door (just to move it, I ended-up taking the bus). There was approximately 1 1/2 inch of ice e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e... Oh, well, you want to live in the Great White North, you deal with it... right?

Anyway, the day went by, no electricity cut, which was nothing short of a miracle in these conditions. But I have to come back from work, eventually. When I got to my bus stop, I stepped out, waited a minute for the light to turn green, and resumed walking confidently to cross the boulevard that leads to my home. And there, right in the middle of the intersection, unconspicuous under a thick layer of brownish slush, lurked an invisible patch of ice. I stepped on it.

Next thing you know, I am flat on my back, the wind knocked out of me, my foot, back and neck aching like crazy, and I'm struggling to get back on my feet before the mandatory 30 seconds to cross are gone and cars start running me over. And however difficult that situation may have been, surprisingly, my first thought was : "This was so much worse than falling in the dirt from a trotting horse!" The icy street was rock hard and compared to that, the dirt of the arena - even with it's crunchy aftertaste - almost (and almost would be the operative word here) feels like a bed of feathers.

Alleluhia! I think I'm cured!!!

Luckily, I was not badly hurt. A little sprain here, a little bruise there, nothing to write home about. But in all honesty, what really, really hurt me, is the fact that there were two people walking in front of me. And these two caring and thoughtful individuals heard me fall, heard my cry of pain, and only slightly turned their heads to see me struggle before they continued crossing without even slowing their pace. What a shame!

At least horses come and see if we're hurt when we take a tumble!!!

A final thought for two of my fellow bloggers who have taken a bat hit from mother nature: Daun from The Eventing Percheron who in survival mode after the ice storm and Stacey from The Jumping Percheron who is dealing with the aftermaths of heavy rain and destructive mudslides. Hang in there ladies!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! That is NO fun. But kind of funny, because I had a moment just like that a week ago. I walked into a building on a very snowy day, and right inside was a set of stairs that were apparently wet from all the people coming in. My foot slipped and went out from under me and I fell face first down 5-6 steps. Ouch! I cracked my legs but good and still have some really bruised and swollen spots.

And my very first thought was ... that was way worse than any fall I've taken off a horse!

Back in the saddle said...

Oh Jackie! Even if this isn't a contest, I think your fall was a lot worse than mine... Down a flight of steps??? Ouch, I hope those bumps and bruises heal fast enough for Christmas time (a.k.a. high heels, spaghetti strap tops and pantyhose season)!

It surprises me thought that you had the same thought I did. But thinking about it, it does makes sense that falling off a horse be the default "pain benchmark" for any rider.

Prior to my riding days, it used to be childbirth for me. But since it's way up there on the suffering scale, it's kind of useless to compare anything to it really. Well... hopefully!

Take good care of yourself Jackie and thanks again for that great blog of yours!

20 meter circle of life said...

ouch!! I am clumsy by nature so falling just seems to happen from time to time. I have always wished that someone had a video of those moments when the brain knows the body is about to fall, so it taps into some inner place and I become an acrobat- the flaying arms, the windmill, alas it always ends with a crash, but those moments of grace during the fall are most likely some of the best ballet ever danced.

Back in the saddle said...

Hahahahaha! So true! But it seems that night, my body totally forgot about my years with the "Cirque du Soleil". (Let me reassure you, I was on tour, but with the promotional materials department). ;-)