Saturday, December 6, 2008

Then again, maybe it WAS me...

Meeka was as cool as a cucumber. It wasn't lunchtime, it wasn't too cold, it wasn't farrier fest, there was absolutely no reason for her not to be on her best behaviour. And so she was, and I was inconspicuously celebrating the great lesson I was gonna have, thinking that it would be a breeze and that I could regain some of my lost confidence. Unfortunately I was in, yet again, for a lesson in humility.


She was on the leg, attentive. Trot trot trot... Shoulder in started as a bit difficult but Cynthia quickly reminded me I only needed to keep her bended after the short sides corners and then it became almost too easy. Trot trot trot... So we went back to haunches in. I was brimming with confidence with Meeka in such a great relaxed mood so I went for it full throttle. 

**Sigh**

I must admit, this time around, it was definitely me. There seems to be someting that doesn't compute in my brain when it comes to outside reins. Cynthia kept telling me I was using too much inside rein (to bend her) compared to the outside one, and that it should actually be the contrary. At that moment I think I had a brain cramp because I heard some sort of a crackle and a definite pop inside my riding cap. I could't understand a word of what Cynthia was trying to explain, I was too busy thinking that this didn't make any sense to me. I think she got a hint when she saw the dazed look in my eyes, because she suggested we cantered a little (for those of you who knew me back then, you should see me now!!!) and Meeka and I immediatly remembered this was supposed to be fun... Right Dea?

So I decided to leave the dust to settle for a couple of days and I think I get it now. If any of you think I am mistaken, please tell me what you think. Here's my take on my complete insuccess with haunches in, Meeka's mood not being an impediment like last week:

In fact, I think that since my inside leg may not have been strong enough at the girth, there was no tension in my outside rein. So I pulled a little more with the inside rain in order to get some semblance of a bend. But then this inside hand, that recieved no counter resistance from the right, got to be very harsh. At that point, Meeka was definitely over-bended and got p-r-e-t-t-y exasperated from the fact she was trying to give me what I wanted, and I kept pulling at her mouth because I had no idea of what was happening whatsoever. 

Now if I understand better: more inside leg, use newly created tension in outside rein to hold shoulders in place (so we don't hit the wall), slight bend of the nose towards the inside with the inside rein (oh! so soflty) and slight push with outside leg towards haunches to get the now infamous "banana shape" that's expected of me and Meeka. Is that it???

Anyway, I gave in to popular reccomendations and finally ordered the Kyra Kyrklund dressage manual. Holidays reading par excellence. So between her and Cynthia, if I STILL don't get it, I certainly AM the one with the biggest challenge...





9 comments:

Dressage Nomad said...

I think that it sounds like you've analyzed what happened pretty well. I tend to hang on the inside rein at shoulder in though, not haunches in.

When I taught my older gelding haunches in the only thing that helped was to start in shoulder in, and then move his haunches over so that we were now in haunches in, but kept the same bend the entire time.

I *just* started haunches in with my mare, and what worked for her was to ask her to move her butt over with the outside leg, while otherwise riding normally. Then I added inside leg to ask for the bend. It was gradual enough and worked in a way that clicked in her head, so I didn't have to do anything with the reins. Of course, I didn't figure that out until last lesson, so we'll see if it works again. She has a wiggly butt to begin with, teaching her travers is probably going to be the bane of my existence, because right after we do it she wiggles her butt *everywhere*, asking if this is what I want when I just want to go straight.

20 meter circle of life said...

When I was learning haunches in I would get myself so contorted in the saddle I looked like I had palsy!!! I think it might be the first true exercise where you have to disengage your hips and legs and trust that your upper body knows what it should be doing. I think the biggest help for me was to really stretch my own legs and hips prior to going to work on the movement, seat must be deep and independant for legs to work as they should. The human body seems to be the spoiler in great success at riding. I tend to over think each movement so that does nto help either...

Back in the saddle said...

Great idea Jesterjigger! I'll try that. I'll have to do inconspicuously though, so coach doesn't pick it up...

For me what worked with shoulder in when I realized I was hanging on to outside rein is visualizing me "pushing" the shoulder towards the inside track, not bendimg the horse with reins. Thereafter, I started to use just the right amount of outside rein because I wasn't pulling anymore, I was "pushing". It ended up being just perfect.

Back in the saddle said...

Jewel! Hahahaha. I can totally relate! Nice to know I am not the only rider that had to go through that awkward phase.

I am also an overthinker. I keep asking coach "But why??? I don't understand!!!" desperately trying to feed my brain some logical explanation for "this move" or "that position" it can chew for a while. But then coach looks at me with despair and simply says "Well, they're just taught that way Marie! There's no other explanation!".

I'm such a hopeless intellectual, and sports in such a new language for me. I'll pull through though, I'm confident, I remember feeling just the same about shoulder in just a few weeks ago!

Stretching is a great idea too and thanks for reminding me to stay supple and relaxed, I think that will help a lot!

Question: She has me do it while posting, would it be any easier if I was sitting the trot???

Cheers!

20 meter circle of life said...

Yes on the sitting, I belive and I refer to my BIBLE (Practical Dressage Manual, Bengt Ljungquist) that both shoulder and haunches in should be done at the sitting trot. Hence why both of these movements are not asked in the tests until Second Level. First Level requires that all movements other than the Extended Trot be performed sitting. I can do shoulder in while posting, but I think the leg would become jumbled while posting for haunches in. In my thought the true key is the long leg and being able to sit DEEP. It is fairly gross but Ihave been known to physically grab my inner thigh and roll the fatty portion back with my hand to get deeper. The Lendon books have some great exercises in the saddle you can do to loosen the hip and thigh and create the longer leg.

20 meter circle of life said...

Oh yes I struggle with gate opening from the saddle as the physics just dont compute in my mind, I just need to do than to try and figure out how.

Back in the saddle said...

Mmmmm. Seems I'll have a little more book shopping to do... Great suggestion! Indeed, I thought sitting would help, thanks for the confirmation. However, I don't know if my beginner's sitting trot will be of much help. It's not too bad, but it's nothing like what I've seen in some of the videos I've watched on blogs by more advanced riders. I've only been riding for a little over a year so... But I'll certainly discuss it with coach and see what she thinks. As for the long legs, well, I'm only 5'3" so I've made my peace with never having anything that remotely feels like long legs... I'll definitely have to give the thigh rollback a try though! I'll let you know! ;-)

20 meter circle of life said...

From your 5 foot even pal in America you are a giant!!

Back in the saddle said...

Oh... **blushes**

I guess I'm going to have to try harder...

;-)